Installing the ZFS Storage Appliance Simulator
The ZFSSA Simulator is a good way to learn all about the ZFS Storage Appliance. The simulator introduces you to the power and simplicity of the ZFS Storage Appliance software using VirtualBox or VMware Workstation and is identical in every way to the appliance version, with the exception of clustering.
This post is a quick step-by-step guide to getting the ZFS Storage Appliance Simulator up and running on your system (laptop, desktop or server). And provides basic configuration details.
- Ensure that your host system has sufficient resources to support the simulator's configuration
- 2560 MB memory
- 125GB free disk space
- CPU has 64-bit capability and supports hardware virtualization
- Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) or Advanced Micro Devices Virtualization (AMD-V) is enabled on your system
- Download and install the latest VirtualBox package and extension pack (minimum version 4.2.12) from https://www.virtualbox.org/
- Download latest ZFS Storage Appliance Simulator from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/sun-unified-storage/ downloads/sun-simulator-1368816.html
Open VirtualBox and verify that a host-only adapter is defined
- Navigate to File > Preferences > Network > Host-only Networks
- If there is no
host-only adapter, click the plus icon to add one.
- Ensure that the DHCP server is set up and enabled by clicking the screwdriver icon. Use the following values:
- Server Address: 192.168.56.100
- Server Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Lower Address Bound: 192.168.56.101
- Upper Address Bound: 192.168.56.254
- If you are on a virtual private network (VPN), ensure that it allows access to the local host network. If it does not, you may not be able to access the Simulator while on the VPN. VirtualBox
Complete the following steps to set up the ZFS Storage Appliance Simulator in VirtualBox.
- Start VirtualBox and select Import Appliance from the File menu.
- Navigate to your download location and choose the Simulator OVF file, click Next.
- If desired, change any of the default settings, including the name. The memory setting must be at least 2560 megabytes, which is the default.
- Click Import.
- Select the Simulator in VirtualBox and go to Settings > System > Acceleration. Verify that "Enable VTx/AMD-V" is checked. NOTE: If hardware virtualization is not enabled on your system, you will not be able to access the Acceleration tab
Configuring the simulator
To start the VM, click Start, The boot screen appears
Configuring devices Configuring network devices. Checking hardware configuration ... done. Starting appliance configuration ..................................... done. Press any key to begin configuring appliane: [*] _
- Press any key to begin configuration.
- Configure network to matck the IP address for the host only-network:
- Hostname: any name you want
- DNS Domain: localdomain
- Default Router: Match the IP address but use 1 as the final octet (ex: 192.168.56.1)
- DNS Server: Match the IP address but use 1 as the final octet (ex: 192.168.56.1)
- Password: any password you want
- Pressing ENTER or ESC-1 after re-enter password to accept settings.
- Wait until initial configuration completes, you will be presented with two URLs to continue configuration and administration
After you enter this information, wait until the screen provides you with two URLs to use for subsequent configuration and administration, one with an IP address and one with the hostname you specified. Direct a web browser to the URL with the IP address (for example, https://192.168.56.101:215/) to complete appliance configuration. The login name is 'root' and the password is what you entered in the initial configuration screen.
Alternately, you can log into the appliance via CLI and continue confirmation
The following document "ZFS Storage Appliance Simulator Quick Start Guide" provides further details.
The following are links to documents available for more information of the ZFS Storage Appliance