Veritas File System (VxFS) Y2K Info
I've received a few inquires lately with regards to what version of Veritas File System (VxFS) is required for Y2000 compliance. Here is the story
Y2000 Compliance requires patched version 3.2.5 or later. The patched versions are down-loadable free of charge from the following ftp sites:
- 3.2.5: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/products/fs.325.list
- 3.2.6: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/products/fs.326.list
- 3.3.1: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/products/fs.331.list (NOT supported on cluster)
- 3.3.2: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/products/fs.332.list (NOT supported on cluster)
These sites also contain the relevant upgrades for any VxFS add-ons i.e. Quick I/O for Oracle. Please be aware that the each version of VxFS must match with the correct version of VxFDD etc. This information is detailed at the sites listed above.
Version 3.2.5, 3.2.6 & 3.3.1 contain a bug that can effect the performance of any Oracle database that is running the the filesystem. There is a patch to fix this issue and it is available from the ftp site:
- 3.2.5: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/support/vxfs5_6:325p-28724
- 3.2.6: No patch available
- 3.3.1: ftp://ftp.veritas.com/pub/support/vxfs5_6:331p-28724
Note These patches are only currently available for Solaris 2.6
If you are running Solaris 2.5.1 with cluster then they will either need to live with the Oracle bug or wait until Veritas backport the fix.