Move a NetBackup image catalog to new location
Occassionally, when we run out of space and we cannot expend a disk partition it may be necessary to relocate the NetBackup catalog database to a new location where more space is available.
This article provides a short procedure on how to move the NetBackup image catalog to a new location.
WARNING: Do no use NFS or CIFS filesystems as your relocation areas as NetBackup does not support saving the catalog to remote filesystems.
Pre-move checks (optional)
In preparation for moving the NetBackup image catalog from one location to another, I recommend that you perform a full catalog backup before starting.
Note: Please perform the following steps carefully, as misconfiguration can cause problems.
- Check no jobs are running (or terminate if necessary)
- Shutdown NetBackup daemons:
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/netbackup stop
- Create the new image directory (where necessary)
- Copy the
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/imagesdirectory to the new location. For example:
# cp -pr /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images \ /newdisk/netbackup/db/images
- Rename the old
images.bak. This provides a backup copy.
# mv /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images \ /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images.bak
- Create a symbolic link from
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/imagesto the new location. For example:
# ln -s /newdisk/netbackup/db/images \ /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
- Restart the NetBackup services:
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/netbackup start
- Add the new catalog image location to the NetBackup catalog backup (Caution: Make certain you add the path for the image catalog and not the symbolic link name. In this example, the path is
- Check that you can search the catalog and find images
- (optional) Perform a full hot NetBackup catalog backup to test that the backup works correctly.
- (optional) Remove the
images.bakfolder created earlier.