How to recover the SunFire Tx000 ALOM password
This article provides a simple procedure to recover the T1000/T2000 ALOM password by resetting the ALOM NVRAM settings as there is no
scadm available in Solaris 10 for the sun4v architecture.
NOTE: Be aware that this procedure requires direct access to the system through the serial port for security reasons.
- Connect to the ALOM serial port
- Power down the SunFire Tx000 server
- Remove the power cords from both power supplies, pause for 30 seconds allowing for all power to discharge. The reinsert both power cords
- Press Esc during the ALOM boot process, when the following messages are displayed on the console:
Boot Sector FLASH CRC Test Boot Sector FLASH CRC Test, PASSED. Return to Boot Monitor for Handshake
- After pressing the escape key, the ALOM boot menu is displayed, select e to erase the ALOM NVRAM. For example:
ALOM Menu e - Erase ALOM NVRAM. m - Run POST Menu. R - Reset ALOM. r - Return to bootmon. Your selection: e ALOM NVRAM erased.
- Once the NVRAM has been erased you are returned to the ALOM menu. Select r to return the ALOM boot process. For example:
ALOM Menu e - Erase ALOM NVRAM. m - Run POST Menu. R - Reset ALOM. r - Return to bootmon. Your selection: r ALOM POST 1.0 Status = 00007fff
- ALOM then boots and resets all NVRAM settings. You are automatically logged on as user admin with no password and no permissions. All ALOM NVRAM settings are reset to the factory defaults.