How to analyze Netbackup unified logs
For legacy Netbackup logs which are located under
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs, the following numbers can indicate to you the severity when troubleshooting Netbackup failures. Personally, I only usually look for errors codes
16 for error or
32 for fatal error which means you need to focus and google that error to look for answer:
- 1 = Unknown
- 2 = Debug
- 4 = Info
- 8 = Warning
- 16 = Error
- 32 = Critical
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/dbclient # grep -i "<16>" log.032211 01:01:47.985  <16> readCommFile: ERR - timed out after 900 seconds while reading from /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/19945.0.1300767393 01:01:47.985  <16> VxBSAEndTxn: ERR - bsa_close() failed. 01:01:47.986  <16> xbsa_EndTransaction: ERR - VxBSAEndTxn: Failed with error: 02:27:59.607  <16> readCommFile: ERR - timed out after 900 seconds while reading from /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/944.0.1300772039
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin - Log used as a central logging repository for all the commands located in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd directory.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bp - Log for the curses-based bp interface program (client-side).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpadm - Log for the curses-based bpadm interface program (server-side).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bparchive - High-level logging of the bparchive command.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbackup - High-level logging of the bpbackup command.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbjobs - High-level logging of the backup and restore job reporter command.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bplist - High-level logging of the detailed image list reporting command.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpmount - High-level logging for the drive-listing command, used for ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES on the client.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bprestore - High-level logging of the restore command.
Logs for Netbackup daemons and other automatically-run commands:
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbkar - Logs for the backup and archive daemon on the client (backup and archive operations).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbrm - Logs for the backup and restore manager on the media server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbrmds - Logs for the backup and restore manager on the media server (for disk staging operations).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd - Logs for the communications daemon on media servers and clients.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcoord - (For Netbackup 5.x) Logs for the bpcoord daemon started by bpsynth on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbm - Logs for the database manager daemon on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdm - Logs for the disk manager daemon on the media server (disk storage units only).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc - Java GUI authentication service on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-susvc - (For Netbackup 4.5 and 5.x) Java GUI login service on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-usvc - Java GUI "user" service on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bprd - Logs for the request daemon on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpsched - Logs for the scheduler daemon on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpsynth - (For Netbackup 5.x) Logs for the bpsynth process for synthetic backups on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm - Logs for the tape manager daemon on the media server (media manager storage units only).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/mtfrd - (For Netbackup 5.x) Logs for phase 2 import of Backup Exec media on the master server.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/tar - Logs for the restore daemon on the client (restore operations).
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops - Contains directories and files used by Java and database agents on servers and clients.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bphdb - Logs for the program that starts scripts to backup the database on servers and clients.
- /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/dbclient - log for the DB Extension clients
Netbackup daemons that use Unified Logging. A listing of processes and originators that use Unified logging include, but are not limited to:
- Netbackup Policy Execution Manager (nbpem)
- Netbackup Job Manager (nbjm)
- Netbackup Resource Broker (nbrb)
- Netbackup Enterprise Media Manager (nbemm)
- Netbackup Service Layer (nbsl)
- Netbackup Generic Job (nbgenjob)
- Netbackup Notification Service (nbnos)
- Netbackup for NDMP and ndmpagent
- Netbackup avrd and robotic processes
- Netbackup Operations Monitor (NOMTRS, NOMClient and NOMServer)
- Bare Metal Restore daemons (bmrd, bmbbd, bmrc, bmrs, bmrconfig, bmrsavecfg, bmrsrtadm, bmrprep, bmrsetupmaster, bmrsetupboot, bmrpkg, bmrcreatepkg, bmrcreatefloppy.exe, bmrrst.exe and bmrmap.exe)
- VERITAS Private Branch Exchange (VxPBX)
Netbackup daemons that continue to use Legacy logging. A listing of daemons that use Legacy logging include, but are not limited to:
- Netbackup Master Server daemons (bprd, bpdbm, bpjobd, bpdbjobs, admin)
- Netbackup Media Server daemons (bpbrm, bptm, bpdm)
- Netbackup Robotic daemons (vmd, avrd, ltid and robotic daemons)
- Netbackup Client daemons (bpcd, bpbkar, tar)