DD Boost with Symantec NetBackup
OpenStorage software provides API-based integration between Data Domain storage systems and NetBackup. The API gives NetBackup visibility into the properties and capabilities of the Data Domain storage system, control of the backup images stored in the system, and wide area network (WAN) efficient replication to remote Data Domain storage systems.
DD Boost for NetBackup has two components.
- The DD Boost Library is embedded in the Data Domain Boost plug-in that runs on NetBackup media servers.
- The DD Boost Server is built into DD OS and runs on a Data Domain system.
The two components integrate seamlessly across the IT infrastructure to enable these benefits. NetBackup, Data Domain Boost -enabled Data Domain deduplication storage systems and the Symantec NetBackup OpenStorage Disk Option provide the following key enhancements for disk-based data protection strategies:
- NetBackup optimized duplication — Backup image duplication using EMC Data Domain Replicator, providing network-efficient replication and able to be controlled, monitored, and cataloged by NetBackup.
- Integrated NetBackup reporting of Data Domain replication job status.
- Recovery of replicated backup images in their entirety or at a granular level via the NetBackup user interface.
- NetBackup media server load balancing, eliminating the need to manually divide client backups across NetBackup media servers utilizing OpenStorage storage units.
- Tape consolidation — Backup images from remote locations and branch offices can be replicated to a centralized location.