Adding a SAMBA user
This is a short how-to post to provide simple steps to add users to a SAMBA environment.
- create a UNIX user on the server, with the same name as the user's 'Active Directory' domain login:
- Associate 2 groups to user as part of this they should have at least 2 groups associated with the user account:
- samba group to be able to access the samba share
- the appropriate application group for access to the particular directory (ie: revenue)
- The uid of the account needs to be low value.
- Once the UNIX user is added, the samba user should be added. (use webmin, or cli, the choice is yours)
- Set samba password
# smbpasswd —a <username>
- this prompts for a password which can be blank as samba authenticates against the user's active directory account and not the UNIX account
- On the windows client, you'll need to map the network drive when the users logs in.
- User will need to log off and back on again, and the share should be mapped.